Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Not A Preview: Lincoln

 
 

With less than a month away to one of the year’s most highly substance movie, I wait with abated breath for the red curtain to roll aside and give the world Lincoln. Did anyone notice that the world premiere of this movie happens to fall on the day where this year’s US Presidential Election will take place? Coincidence much?
US presidents aside, I’m looking forward to this movie because of Daniel Day-Lewis who will be portraying Abraham Lincoln as is never seen before on the screen – period.
What the studios and producers decide to put in their movie posters – especially the first official image to the public – always fascinates me the most. You can tell so much from the first poster and if you’ve seen your fair share of posters, you can tell if a movie is going to be great or not.
From the poster above, I know this movie isn’t going to be boring and won’t be about his entire life. This looks like a weathered and beaten-down man – a man who is hunched over his back because the fate of a nation is on his shoulders.
I think it is going to depict the last few months of his life before his assassination. It is going to be about a nation’s leader that works tirelessly, who must make tough choices and get things done in the face of overwhelming opposition that will forever change the history of a nation.
I also know that from the black and white colour used in the poster, this movie is going to be centrally revolved around his attempt to abolish slavery once and for all. The colour choice here is great because it sends a message of the biggest theme in the film.
And finally, this poster excellently hammers home the fact that Day-Lewis will star in another role where he absolutely loses himself in the character. So I know this movie is going to be moving and enlightening. I know the script will be awesome.
But what I know even more is that the acting is going to still your body, hearts and minds in the cinema when you see all the stellar cast bring the historical biopic of Abraham Lincoln to life. How I know? Because I had goose bumps when I saw the trailer.
For a YouTube trailer that has 6.2 million views so far, it sure says a lot. Even if you do not believe this movie is going to be Oscar-sensational or Oscar-bait incarnate, I can bet you the acting will blow you away because Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones are all Oscar winners in their own right. Did I mention Spielberg too?
Do not forget that this is still a historical movie. And we all remember how well did Spielberg’s other historical movies turned out – Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan.
One of Lincoln’s famous quote is “How do I get a nation to see beyond the colour of someone’s skin?” Lincoln wanted us to be colour-blind, so does this poster.
Lincoln is scheduled for release on the 9th of Nov, 2012.
Click below for the official trailer:
 

No comments: